12 January 2009

Weekend Update

Over the weekend we had a lot to accomplish. Saturday was one of those days that we knew we just needed to get things done. Most importantly, we had to figure out how to buy oil and have it delivered to the house. We use oil to heat our home, and we have four huge tanks in the basement... and they were pretty much at the last drops. I got the name of a local oil company from a co-worker but of course that wasn't going to get the oil delivered.

So, Saturday we drove to where we thought their building was, and through broken English and German we found our way to the office, where the very nice lady at the counter basically only spoke one word of English -"No."

Luckily, Carl's been brushing up on his German, and hand gestures and acting out things are universal languages. The lady was very friendly and willing to help us figure out what to do. As it turned out, there was a driver near our house already who did speak English, so she called him and Carl spoke with him on the phone. About 20 minutes later we were driving up to the house and the oil truck was already there waiting for us! Hallelujah!! We can now turn our heaters up to high and try to keep from catching another cold! It has been unbelievably cold here in our house lately... radiator heaters just don't heat up a giant house all that well. We have figured out which doors to close to keep the heat in certain rooms, and we don't heat the whole upstairs or downstairs just yet, only the side of the house that we are living on. It's worked fine so far, and so it should continue to work well now that we've refilled the oil and know how to get more in the future!

Saturday evening we attened at play at our local theater since we bought season tickets at the beginning of the year. We saw "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and it was hysterical! We were laughing out loud and there were parts where I think the entire audience was laughing as loud as they could at how hilarious it was. It was a good evening. I am really looking forward to the last play of the season, my personal favorite, "The Sound of Music!" but that doesn't start up till May I think. There are a couple more in between we'll go to as well.

Sunday was wonderful for me because I got to stay home. Carl had to work again so I did something I haven't done in forever -- I stayed in my pj's and bathrobe all day! And it felt awesome!! I was a heathen by skipping church, yes I know, and I do feel bad, but sometimes the need to do absolutely nothing and stay in the pajamas is just too great to overcome. I did do a bunch of laundry though so the day wasn't a total waste of time (although I personally think there would have been nothing wrong with a total wasted day...)

I finished another Karen Kingsbury book last night too, this one was "Like Dandelion Dust." I highly recommend it. I am hoping to go by the library to see if they have any more by her but if not then I might move on to another Rosamunde Pilcher or maybe a Maeve Binchy; I really like both of those authors and found some old paperbacks in our stuff that I haven't read yet.

We're hard at work trying to nail down dates for my parents' visit! Lots of work things on both ends have prevented any ticket purchase yet unfortunately, but, we're getting closer! I can't wait!!

One more random thing about me: I have become totally addicted to Burt's Bee's Hand Salve. I got a little kit in my stocking from Santa of Burt's Bee's samplers. (Thanks Santa Dude!!!!) I already knew I loved the lip gloss tin and the lemon butter cuticle cream. I actually gave Carl a huge tin of this Hand Salve stuff last year at Christmas because I thought it would be good for him with work and all. Well, when I felt how dry my skin got here and just one night of putting that stuff on my hands, I am hooked! And I can't get it here! Ugh! So... anytime someone would like to send me a little something, Burt's Bee's Hand Salve would be a real treat! (actually, anything Burt's Bee's is fine with me; I haven't found anything yet I don't like from that company!) Just a thought! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackson and I were sitting here reading your blog (he was having his healing sulfa tub soak right next to me) and he noticed his picture right on the front page of your blog! His eye infection seems to be much better as he looks just like he did then, only bigger. Turtle was wondering where HIS picture is, but I'll have to explain that to him later.
Enjoyed your latest entry... glad you are able to keep warm. It feels like sub-zero here in Tennessee too!
Love you,
Dude

Anonymous said...

When I had to go in for my surgery, it was negative one degree, not including the windchill! We've had an "artic air mass" come down from Canada. The same one that was giving Grandma Ger negative 20 degree weather!!

Its supposed to warm up to a whopping 30 degrees today. Oooh! Heat wave! :)

Rachel and Arielle said...

Catching up again. Your New Years sounded really fun! I LOVE Catchphrase and can get pretty out of control with my competativeness. It's bad...

I'm moving into a new duplex with Arielle. The same part of the duplex of course...we can't separate for too long. I'm really excited. It's super cute and has lots of character! It's in Minneapolis and right along Minnehaha Creek by all the lakes. Nap also bought a new house in Minneapolis and we are busy fixing it up. We did lots of painting and it's looking really good. He's loving being a home-owner!

Oh and I am obsessed with the Burt's Bees mint chapstick. It's awesome!

Keep having fun in Germany! You must be living such an adventure!