In my last blog, I mentioned at the end something about booking our next adventure. Well, I'm still not going to write about that one. :)
Instead, I'm going to tell you about a little weekend jaunt we took to Madrid, Spain, over the Memorial Day three-day weekend holiday.
It was fun. The end.
Just kidding. :) It really was fun! We realized quickly how little Spanish we actually do know, and it was quite odd to find ourselves honestly thinking and trying to answer in German when people would talk to us. Guess our Deutch is going much better than we thought, even though it still doesn't seem like it!
Madrid is a beautiful city. I did tons of research beforehand by internet and guidebooks from the library to make sure our hotel was in a good location, and it was, right by a metro stop. From there we were able to get pretty much anywhere we wanted to go in the city. It is a huge city and we walked a lot!! Our hotel was nice -- the room was small, as most European hotel rooms are, and the toilet and sink were square! Yeah, imagine that one... haha!
My favorite part was the fact that they serve churros for breakfast - all you can eat! Can you imagine?! I was in heaven. Their sweets and pastries are delicious too, and I must admit I liked them more than the German bakeries. Probably because they are much sweeter and I do have a bit of a wicked sweet tooth.
Before we arrived, we both picked one thing we wanted to do for sure, and then from there after that I picked lots of random things near each other to try to make it to.
My pick was the Royal Palace.
I'm trying to upload a picture here but it doesn't seem to be working. Hmm. Anyway, the palace was amazing! I mean, simply stunning. I think my jaw was on the floor every time we turned a corner and went into another room! We waited in line for about an hour to get inside, in the rain of course, but it was completely worth it. No pictures were allowed inside, of course, but we took a few on the outside.
After that, we went to Carl's pick, the Zoo and Aquarium. It was a phenomenal zoo. The animals were unbelievable friendly, reaching through the fencing and such. Lots of people were feeding them, which is not actually allowed but they were doing it anyway. I'm sure that's part of the reason why they are so friendly toward humans! We got slightly lost on our way to the zoo as coming out of the metro you are in a big open parkland with no signs. But, we found it eventually. (We spent lots of extra time on this trip wandering around. Despite all the research we did beforehand and having our handy-dandy Frommer's travel guide book along with us, for some reason the exact locations of places kept finding a way to deceive us. It's okay though, the more walking we did throughout the city and the parks, the more of the city we got to experience!)
We also visited the museum of the Royal Navy, which could easily have been a top ten museum of all time probably for both of us, except it was all in Spanish! It was free so we couldn't complain. It even had a map drawn by the first mate of the Santa Maria, showing the route Columbus took, for Isabella and Ferdinand. Amazing.
We went to El Rastro on Sunday morning, which is the largest flea market in Spain. It was cool because it was all throughout some city streets. We didn't buy anything because it was mostly fabrics, clothing, leather goods, etc. We also visited the Parque del Retiro, which is the largest parkland in the city, and it was neat because there were lots of performers and vendors. The weather Sunday was beautiful so we stayed outside almost the whole time. We took the Teleferico cable car over the city too, which offered nice views of the Royal Palace and the skyline. That cable car provided us probably the longest and most confusing "where the heck is it?!" experience of the weekend... but, we found it finally.
There were so many parks, statues, fountains and buildings that we saw and admired but have no clue what they were! I know, that's kind of sad, but it was a beautiful city and it was so packed with stuff like that, that it was easier to admire and take some pics and keep moving.
As far as food, rest assured that Carl's taste for raw meat is still missing. Ha! No kidding, they like their meat almost like raw cold cuts, and even he was grossed out. (He hasn't been the same since the tar tar... hahaha!!) We found two yummy restaurants just by wandering the streets and looking at menus and also went to one vegetarian restaurant I had scouted out in the guidebook that was indescribably good. Even Carl loved that one, honestly!
Yep, we had a great time exploring Madrid and being able to experience a little of the Spanish culture. Would we go back? probably not. Did we need more time there to experience it all? definitely. Would we recommend it to others? Yes, but visit Stockholm first, that one still wins right now for coolest city. :)
All in all, a wonderful weekend. And let's not forget to stop and say thank you to all our service men and women, and remember the fallen, since it was Memorial Day weekend that we were traveling. God Bless America and our troops.

3 comments:
Sounds like a fun weekend!
Hi guys,
Great pictures and thanks for tour of Madrid. So that's what a churro looks like - would love to try one myself. And yes, you are missing your pointer sister. Looks pretty lonely in that pic!
Well, with so much raw meat, I guess Carl has learned to put a round log into a square hole?
Post a Comment