21 March 2009

Day trip to Rothenberg

Yes, I finally have something real to write about again - albeit a week late - but last Saturday we packed up the red babies and headed to Rothenberg ob der Tauber, about an hour and a half form where we live. This little city is from mideival times and it is enclosed by a city wall that you can walk along and have great views (we didn't do that though of course since we had the doggies.) However, we were able to walk for 3 hours just exploring the streets of the city! It was so fun!

Rothenberg is actually one of the most popular tourist cities in Germany, and it's easy to see why. It is picture-perfect for what you think of in a cute little Germany community from days of old (when knights were bold.... haha!! in memory of Grandpa Don...). It is also the home of the indoor Christmas village, something I'll have to blog about once we go inside (again, we didn't do that either because of the doggies).

Now, before you think we missed out on everything because of the reds, let me just say the weather was gorgeous and we were able to just wear light jackets for our strolls. The people of this city completely epitomized the German's love for dogs - I can't even count how many people smiled at Noel and Scout, or pet them, or talked to them, and even a few who got down on the ground and hugged all over them. They loved it, and I was so proud of them for being so well-behaved, too! We had no problems whatsoever; there were even a couple dogs who decided to bark at Scout and he ignored them.

We also discovered the famous schneeballen -- a Rothenberg specialty pastry. It's basically like pie crusts cut into strips and rolled up into balls, and then covered with topping such as sugar, cinnamon, chocolate or nougat. Some even had fillings throughout. I have since learned from Alia too that schneballen means snowballs, which is fitting if you saw them. They were very good and we of course bought several varieties to try. The lady in the schneeball shop was in love with the dogs and came out side to sit and cuddle with them. She kept talking to them in German and every once in a while would say 'ohhh, I love you! I love you!" and kiss them and hug them. It was cute, and the best part is she gave us an extra schneeballen for free! haha!

I also forgot to blog I think that about a month ago we took a really fun day trip to Sinsheim with Lira and the kids to the Technik Museum there. It was fun; cold that day, but fun. So no, we haven't been completely holed up in the house here but now that the weather is getting warmer we are feeling the itch to do some more exploring!!

Today is clean the house day since we have less than a week before my parents arrive! I CAN'T WAIT!!! Also, in a couple hours the doggies have an appointment at a German vet to get their doggy passports. That way they can travel more with us.

Check out the pictures from our trip to Rothenberg on our Flickr page! http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristenandcarl

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Days of old when knights were bold! awww... Dear old Grandpa Don!
Packing is about done for me. Dad of course hasn't started yet. See you in a few days :)
Love you,
Dude

Alia's World said...

you know I had to proof read your stuff..so far 2 mistakes lol...." form" should be "from" and "mideival" should be "medieval"
I will let you figure out where they are. You must have been in a hurry but at least you finally wrote something.

Anonymous said...

I loved the pics of Rothenberg. That one building with the brown lattice work was just what I think of when I think of Germany!! How funny.

Mmmm. Save some "snowballs" for me. Those sound realllly good. Maybe your parents should sneak some back in their suitcases for me. :)

I think you should make your folks write a blog entry while they are there. A "guest blogger"! That would be awesome.

Welp. Matt comes home tonight. I haven't seen him in a whole week. And prior to that, I've barely seen him the last 3 weeks! Craziness!

Have fun with your folks and I'll check back later...